My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sloppy Lentils and Blue Potato Fries

I apologize for the lack of posting. As a good girlfriend, I had to get Ryan ready for his trip to Atlanta. He'll be gone for 10 days! However, things are not so sad because I will also be traveling to Atlanta in a few days to meet up with him :) If anyone has suggestions on healthy restaurants or fun activities, let me know!!

On to the food: I have been honored to serve as another recipe tester for Catherine and made her Sloppy Lentils last week. I am so glad to be able to try these - they are very good. I love how it smells just like the real thing while cooking and I'm not sure I could ever go back to real Sloppy Joes - it's just not worth it.

As you know, I can't give you all the details on the recipe, you'll just have to buy the cookbook! We served them on toasted whole-wheat buns alongside our Blue Potato Fries (blue potatoes from our crop share) and roasted asparagus.
















Here's a picture of the fries before they cooked; the color is so neat!















After cooking, they don't looks as blue on the outside, but are totally blue inside. They taste just like regular fries. This would probably be pretty fun for kids.



10 comments:

  1. I spent most of my weekends during highschool and college in Atlanta. My favorite restaurant in Atlanta is Soul Vegetarian. Eat here for lunch and if you're just looking to get a sandwich.

    I know you're not vegan or vegetarian, but... Get the Kale Bone Sandwich. It's made from seitan. They make their own. With the side salad (it's small) get the cucumber dressing. Don't order from their bunch menu. I find their biscuits a bit heavy. Get the Kale Bone!

    Don't be wary of their religous affiliations. They don't push it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor - thanks for the suggestion. We'd prefer to eat at a vegetarian restaurant for healthier and fresh ingredients - it looks great. Now I just need to figure out a way to get there (no car, staying downtown)...

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also...be sure to hit up the Dekalb Farmer's Market. It's huge, has every vegetable known to man, a huge live seafood section, specialty foods from around the world, eclairs the size of your head, and CHEAP SPICES. I've taken the 3 hour trip from where I used to live just to go here for the spices.

    It's in a suburb of Atlanta, but not far. Atlanta goes on forever and it all meshes together. Just follow Ponce De Leon Ave. from Midtown Atlanta all the way out and you'll find it.

    If you go, I'll be sooo jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out MARTA, their rail and bus system. If it doesn't get you close enough, I'd seriously rent a car for the day to go to the market. That's just me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Crystal, thanks for the great email! Definitely the most detailed I've received so far. :) Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Crystal, how I love you! Thanks for being such a big help getting me ready for Atlanta and spending some great days together. ;) I already can't wait to be home with you and running into each other while preparing meals....and cleaning dishes. Can't wait to see you!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan - you are so cheesy, but I love it:) Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh!! Aren't you two sweet! So glad you have each other!!

    Love You Both,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue Pototoes! Antonio would love those!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...