My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, June 12, 2006

Roasted Salmon with Caramelized Lemon Slices

Ryan and I were so done with eating out that we made dinner after our drive home last night. We swung by Kowalski's and picked up some fresh salmon. The fish guy could tell we were debating over 2 different types of salmon and offered us a complimentary fillet of a 2nd kind so we could do a side-by-side comparison. How neat!






















I used a recipe from the trusty Star Tribune Taste section for guidance, but here's what I came up with:

Preheat oven to 450. Slice 2 tomatoes into wedges and place on the center of a shallow baking dish. Halve and quarter mushrooms and place on either side of tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place thyme sprigs over mushrooms and tomatoes. Roast for 20 minutes or until tomatoes are cooked, but not mushy. Remove from oven, cover with foil, and set aside.

Reduce oven heat to 350. Wash and dry salmon. Place skin side down on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle pepper on top and stick a couple rosemary sprigs into the salmon; squeeze half a lemon all over salmon. Roast for 20 minutes or until salmon reaches 137 degrees.

Meanwhile, slice up one lemon into 1/4-inch slices. Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the pan. Once hot, carefully place lemon slices in pan and cook until browned on both sides; about 5 minutes per side.

Chop cooled tomatoes and mushrooms; spoon onto serving plates. Place salmon over tomato mixture, top with caramelized lemon slices and garnish with rosemary. Serve with rice, couscous, or whatever is on hand.

We had a leftover box of couscous that has been in the cupboard for quite some time. I am not a couscous fan, but the box was quite good, so maybe I'll reconsider.

As for the side-by-side comparison of the salmon, Ryan and I agreed the more expensive salmon was better, but not by much. We'd have either one any day. We also liked that neither cuts had the fishy/salty taste that some old fish has. This was the fresh stuff! We were afraid that squeezing half a lemon over the salmon before it cooked may make it too lemony, but found that not to be the case. The caramelized lemon slices was what gave it the lemon flavor. Since the lemon slices weren't all over the fish, it provided for a good contrast of flavors throughout.

4 comments:

  1. My wife is from Seattle and such a Salmon snob! I've always eyed Bobby Flay in his cooking of citrus on his grills (condo living = no grill for moi)...I like your way around that, I really think I will use that technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got back from Rick and Annettes. We all missed you guys! Mason is so cute and their house is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - thanks for stopping by! We debated grilling this, but didn't want to mess with it and boy are we glad - this turned out great! Glad I could suggest a viable technique for you.

    Rach - Aw! I'm sure Mason is getting so much bigger. We thought of you guys during our failed dinner (it will be in our next post). But, I did get some stuff done (reports for my board position-ick)

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron and I are trying to eat more fish. I'll have to try cooking salmon this way next time! Looks and sounds good!

    Love You,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...