My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, June 30, 2006

Bean Pebbled Paella

Monday evening I made Bean Pebbled Paella for the 2nd time. Woo hoo! We made something twice!

















This dish is great! It is totally meat-free, unlike regular Paella, and has healthy beans, greens and veggies. I just love it! I have seen many versions of this dish, but originally got the recipe out of the newspaper. I've only altered it slightly and last night used kale (from our crop share) instead of Swiss chard. I also froze the leftover beans in packets so we can make this again without worrying if the leftover beans are going to waste.





















Here are the ingredients cooking.

















This is after adding the kale and rice.

Bean-Pebbled Paella
(6 servings)

½ c. cooked chickpeas, plus cooking liquid
½ c. cooked dark red kidney beans, plus cooking liquid
½ c. cooked black beans, drained and rinsed, liquid discarded
2 ½ c. low-sodium vegetable broth
¼ tsp crumbled saffron threads
¼ c. olive oil
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, grimed and thinly sliced
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1 large red bell pepper, diced
3 c. rinsed and thinly sliced Swiss chard leaves and stalks, about 1 bunch
1 ripe tomato, diced
¼ c. chopped Italian parsley
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
2 c. short-grain rice, such as Arborio
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 450°. Drain chickpeas and kidney beans, reserving their liquid. Rinse the chickpeas and kidney beans. Mix with the drained black beans and set aside. Combine the reserved bean liquids in a medium pot with enough veggie broth to make 4 cups. Bring the liquid to a boil and turn off the heat. Add the saffron and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the scallions, garlic, and red pepper. Sauté until the pepper is slightly softened. Add the Swiss chard, tomato, and parsley and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Then stir in the paprika and cumin.

Add the rice and coat well with the pan mixture. Pour the reserved hot broth mixture over rice and bring to a boil. Add the reserved beans and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to boil, stirring and rotating the pan occasionally, until the rice is no longer soupy, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the saucepan to the oven. Cook, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the rice is almost al dente and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and place in a warm spot; cover with foil and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes until the rice has finished cooking and is tender, but still firm.
------
Since this was Ryan's last meal before heading to Atlanta (remember, I'm behind on posts!), he wouldn't be around to eat the leftovers. We froze some and then initiated a great trade with his mom. We traded a big container of paella and some fresh berries for their digital camera. Ryan took ours to Atlanta and I was still going to need one for food blogging and visiting my cousin's baby.

7 comments:

  1. Ouch, my nose hurts. I moved in closer to the screen so I could see all the goodness in that great looking dish. I think mom got the better deal, that food and berries in trade for a measly camera. Just kidding, still looks wonderful and I would have let you use my camera for that kind of payoff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great and seems so healthy too. I love those kind of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great trade! Again- those berries were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. woohoo another tastey recipe.. : )
    aww makes me sad that I'm not going to get a chanceto cook it before I leave for NY. hm note to self "cook this when i get home hehe."


    Teddy

    Don't forget to stop by my blog while I'm on vacation. Richard's still posting for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Paella. I've never had it with safron...I bet it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nummy - very good paella and gnocchi with sun-dried tomatoes! I love leftovers!!!

    Love You Both,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

    Gorgeous, gorgeous food. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...