My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, May 19, 2006

Trader Joe's is Here!

Finally, Minneapolis has a Trader Joe's. There has been talk about it for quite awhile and a lot of speculation. I am happy to say that it is open for business! I realized that it is only 5 miles from my workplace, so I took off early today to head over there and it was a madhouse. The police are out monitoring traffic and parking spaces are hard to come by.

Once inside the store, I saw that there wasn't much left on the shelves which always instills a sense of panic! I had my list of favorite TJ items and tried to manuever my way through the crowds the fastest I could just in case someone was grabbing the last of my much needed Green Tea Ice Cream.

Overall, I feel it was a pretty successful trip and as always, the cashiers are a delight to talk to. Here's what I picked up:
*Yogurt Dill Papadum (wanted the curry ones, but already gone)
*Heritage Flakes (for Ryan)
*Green Tea Ice Cream
*Marinated mozzarella
*Pizza Dough
*3 Grain Tempeh
*Chocolate Soy Milk
*TJ's Cocktail sauce
*Ricola mints

Aaron, my cashier told me they may be opening one on the East Side closer to St. Paul, which would be ideal. Exciting!

7 comments:

  1. I've never been to a Trader Joe's. I don't know if we even have them in Canada. I'm not far from Toronto and I'm pretty sure there isn't one there. I shop Whole Foods by default. Looks like you got some good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous. No Trader Joe's in Toronto. I've never seen them anywhere in Canada. ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled to find this out, I love Trader Joe's. Wonder where it is. When in Phoenix I shop there all the time. Love their Red Pepper soup, never tried the ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma,

    Click on the name "Trader Joe's" in the post to see a location map. Our first time to Trader Joe's was only this past March when our friends in Virgina took us to the one in Alexandria. We loved it immediately...especially since Heritage Flakes(my morning cereal) is $2 cheaper than Valley Natural Foods.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to look for that papadum at my TJ's. I've heard it's quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I never heard of that place before Ryan and Crystal, is that all good food? what is it like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan and Carrie - well, although you don't have TJ's, you do have a lot of cool stuff in Canada, including National Healthcare :) (yes, I'm showing my political views here)

    Angela - I wasn't the biggest fan of the yogurt and dill papadums. The curry ones are much better, so grab those first. Just don't eat a whole ton at once or your stomach will hate you.

    Jill - Let's go sometime. You could drive up to my work and then we can head over there. They have a lot of organic and natural foods and just some stuff you'd never see in a regular grocery store. I think you'd like the yogurt and dill papadums since you guys like the Old Dutch pickle chips. They have a similar flavor.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...