My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Long & Lazy Weekend

Whew - it's amazing how these long weekends wear you out, especially when the entire weekend is in the 90's with full sun. We didn't do much cooking, partially due to the heat and partially due to us having other activities. I don't want to go into too much detail since this is supposed to be a food blog, but here's a run down of our weekend activities:

*Went to a Twins game - TWINS WIN!
-ate free hotdogs, pop, nachos and cotton candy (ate this treat later)

*BBQ'ed at a friend's house and continued the party at Gasthof's (Ziggy Zaggy, Ziggy Zaggy, Hoi Hoi Hoi!)
-brought veggie burgers, salad, fruit and carrots
-drank some wine, beer (for Ryan) and a bunch of Red Bull and water

*Went to Canterbury for the races. Was 3 for 3 on bets and came out a few $$ ahead. We aren't big betters and tend to bet $2-$4 per race. We were intrigued about the animal cruelty aspect of horse racing. Lo and behold, PETA's recent newsletter outlines just that. It's worth a read.

*Ryan got caught up on homework and I finished reading my book club book, How to be Lost.

Besides all that, we did make some food!

First off, fruit pancakes using the Easy Vegan Pancakes recipe from VegWeb. I had premixed the dry ingredients a couple weekends ago so these would just be ready to go. Turns out, I'll have to prepare a few more of these packets since they were very good! We added fresh blueberries and bananas and served with Canadian maple syrup. We looked at the ingredient list from our old pancake mix and couldn't understand most of it. We feel much better about our new pancakes!


We also made pizza again. Yes, I made another trip to Trader Joe's on Friday on my way home from work. Ha - then I took Ryan there on Sunday so I made 2 trips this weekend! I picked up a couple extra pizza crusts for my sister, Jill. Now she just needs to come over and pick them up at my house ;) (hint, hint, Jill!) Anyway - this time we used the herb crust, my homemade pasta sauce, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. I took the picture before I added the basil at the end, but you can use your imagination. It was great as usual.

We made biscuits from La Dolce Vegan for Biscuits and Gravy. Last weekend we tried the "sausage" and "gravy" from Vegan with a Vengeance and although it was okay, it didn't fully satisfy us. So, we're back to our traditional recipe for sausage and gravy, but keeping the new biscuit recipe in replacement for Bisquick.


Sunday night dinner was homemade by Ryan. He picked out Aloo Mattar Potatoes & Peas from La Dolce Vegan. We had some asparagus in the fridge, so he steamed that and added it to the dish. It was served over brown rice and with papadums.





This recipe called for garam masala which is:
*cumin seeds
*coriander seeds
*black peppercorns
*ground cardamom
*ground cinnamon
*ground cloves
*ground nutmeg

It's a fragrant mixture, but doesn't pack a lot of spice punch. This dish was great! It was light and colorful and had complex flavors from the garam masala. Next time we'd add "needs a little extra" spice and see how that goes or maybe just add a pepper from the garden. Overall - great job, Ryan!

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    The Aloo Mattar looks really good. What are papadums? They look like some kind of thin tortilla. Also, what does masala technically stand for? It must be a spice mixture because one of my favorite teas is Masala Chai (or maybe it's Masali). You kids are really giving me a run for my money with all the new cooking terms and foods - fun!! I think I'm going to have to get me some of those pizza crusts and some of that pancake mix.

    Love You!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, the pizza looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! Isn't mom sweet. The Aloo Mattar does look wonderful! I'll have to check that recipe out sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...