My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Homemade Mac & Cheese

I've never made mac & cheese from scratch, but thought I'd try it out for once. Let me tell you...cheese is expensive! Especially fancy cheeses like Gruyere. Overall it was pretty easy to make if you have a blender or food processor. This mac & cheese recipe had pasta, egg, milk, garlic, onion, extra-sharp cheddar, Gruyere, cream cheese and some spices. It was topped with a saltine cracker topping.

The result? It looked and smelled great. The taste was good, but not great for homemade mac and cheese. I think the sharpness of the cheeses and the heavy amount of onion were things I'd change for the future. The cracker topping rocked - it was very light and crispy. I'll have to search for other mac & cheese (or non-cheese) recipes for the future.

Although it was the hottest day this year, I still wanted to make a Rhubarb Crisp to eat with our Green Tea Ice Cream, so I kept the oven on and continued cooking. To tone down the tartness of the rhubarb, I added a few frozen raspberries. This dessert turned out great! I love the oat/brown sugar topping so much that I'd have any kind of fruit crisp with it. I took pictures, but they didn't turn out, so you'll have to use your imagination :)

6 comments:

  1. MMMMMM the Rhubarb crisp sounds good! Was that like Apple Crisp at all? What did it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - Yep, just like apple crisp. It tasted really good. I chopped up rhubarb (shoot, I forgot to include that picture!) and put 4 cups in a baking dish. Then I sprinkled about 1/3 cup of raspberries over it. Added 3 tablespoons sugar (if I'm making apple crisp I use less sugar, but rhubarb is so tart I needed more sugar) and tossed it.

    Then I put together the topping: 1/2 c. oats, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/4 c. flour, a pinch of coconut flakes and some nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix that up, cut in 3 tablespoons butter and put over the top. Bake at 375 for 40 min.

    It was so easy and I know mom has a ton of rhubarb - you should try it. You can use just rhubarb or put in any other kind of fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries) Let me know if you try it.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. My imagination is running wild!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i imagine rhubarb crisp would be delicious! my husband makes a mean mac & cheese. shhhhhh, don't tell, but he uses the recipe on the back of the elbow pasta box. it's basic & good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love "crisp" desserts! They are so easy and versatile, and everyone loves them. Yum! I miss rhubarb -- my parents had a ton in their backyard when I was a kid! I'll have to look for some the next time I'm at the store. :)

    And, I've never cared for homemade mac & cheese myself -- I was always a "blue box snob." :) Can't even imagine how much junk is in that stuff! Annie's makes a pretty decent organic version that I like well enough. Man, now you've got me craving mac & cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki - I'll have to try the one on the box. I'm up for trying almost anything to get a more perfect version of mac and cheese.

    Catherine - Whew - thanks for admitting to your preference of the blue box. I also think that's my favorite, but was trying to get away from all the junk. I'll try Annie's (use my coupon from the Blue Sky Guide) and see how that works for me. I was addicted to EasyMac for about 2 years - until it stopped being filling. Maybe my body became immune to it ;)

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...